Sunday, December 4, 2011

are you irrational?


Rational -Emotive Therapy (RET) is based on the concept of faulty or irrational thought patterns.this theory was propounded by ALBERT ELLES in 1960 who believed that emotional disturbances are the end product of irrational and illogical thinking.Many irrational thinking not only creats blockages inside our minds but often forms  the bedrock of many nurotic disturbances.

Many of these thought pattrns are injected into us from the childhood .either its the part of the whole up bringing process or the values of the culture where we belong to.These types of experiences often sends wrong mesages to our subconscious mind.According Dr.Joseph Murphy ," when ever subconscious mind accepts an idea,it immediately begins to execute it.its uses all its mighty resources to that end". So its imaginable that what kind of thought patterns are we likely to have.  Rememebr ,our thinking makes what we are.so its advisable to evaluate the heatlh of our thoughts .


THINKING>>>Repeated thinking>>>ACTION>>>repeated action>>>HABIT>>>repeated habit>>>CHARACTER.


From the self-help form below,you will able to judge your thoughts.Use it when ever possible,especially when caught between emotionally disturbing situation.this form will help you to sort out things effectively.it can be used to help others to sort out their emotional problems too.its easy to use.




where you can use this easy technique?
*when ever you see yourself ,your family, your friends frequently makes impossible , perfectionistic statements about themselves and others.
*when ever you want to make a realistic ,, open-minded  positive decisions.




step 1
list and describe the activating events,thougts,feelings that happend just before you felt emotionally disturbed or acted in some self -defeating way.


step 2
look at the descriptions of events ,thought or feeling and examine them for irrational beliefs.examples: 
I MUST do well or very well.
I am BAD or WORTHLESS person when I act weakly or stupidly.
I must be approves or accepted by the people whom I find important.
I need IMMEDIATE GRATIFICATION for my need.
Other people MUST live up to my expectations or it is TERRIBLE.
its AWFUL or HORRIBLE when major things do not go my way.
I CANT STAND IT when life is really unfair.
if you have any ADDITIONAL IRRATIONAL BELIEFS,write it down too.


 step 3
how did you feel after the fact ,event , behavior? what did you do to produce it? how would like change?




step 4
look at the irrational beliefs and then challenge it,examples:
Why MUST I do well so very well?
Where is written Thant I am a BAD or WORTHLESS person?
Where is the evidence that I MUST be approved or accepted?


 step 5
Now replace the Irrational beliefs,Examples:
I would prefer to do well,but I don't HAVE TO BE perfect
I am a person who acted badly ,but I am not a BAD or WORTHLESS person.
There is no evidence that I HAVE TO BE approved or accepted although I would like to be...


step 6
then make the following commitment :
"I will work hard to repeat my effective rational belief forcefully to myself on many occasions so that I can make myself less disturbed now and act less self-defeating in future"

this self help form will make you more positive and realistic about your approach of life in every sector.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...